Bongiovi DPS

Unusual Request

Forums Custom Profiles Unusual Request

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wxman123
    Participant

As I understand it, the custom profiles are designed to optimize listening on a specific speaker or device.  My request is for a profile that will try and recreate the sound profile of  the Bose Companion 20 speakers.    While I usually do not like Bose products, these desktop speakers have an incredibly pleasing sound (engineered, but pleasing nonetheless).  It would be great to turn on DPS and hear my Definitive Technology SM55s capturing that Bose sound on a grand scale.  Is this possible?

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

We do have a Bose companion 2 profile. Might be worth a try. I also recommend trying the different “Cities” profiles. I personally like Los Angeles and New Orleans for my desktops. If we happen to get the Bose Companion 20 device on our desk, we will certainly make a profile for them. Additionally, If you find a profile that exists that sounds close let us know what it needs and I will see if an engineer can customize an existing profile for you. Let us know!

wxman123
    Participant

Thanks, but I think you misunderstood why my request was “unusual.”  I’m not looking for a profile that sounds good on my companion 20’s. Rather, if possible, I’d like your enginners to listen to the companions and try to mirror that sound in a profile.  The companion 20’s have a sound that is terrific in my view (and many others, see the reviews), but I think it’s mainly the engineered tuning/processing rather than the speaker itself.    I want that sound on my larger speakers.  It’s hard to describe a sound, but right now annaopolis is closest.  You really have to listen to the 20’s, the companion 2’s are nothing special.  Cheers!

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

I think I understand, wxman.  You are looking for a profile for your Definitive Technology SM55s that makes them sound like Bose Companion 20 speakers. Is this correct?

This would certainly be possible given the power of DPS technology. However, I would need to have both speaker sets in our lab to create a SM55 profile that matches the natural sound of the Companion 20s. Our profiles are created by hand/ear so I would do careful listening to be sure the tone. dynamics and general emotional effect matched.

Since i don’t have access to these speakers at this moment, perhaps I can make a profile for you based on the Annapolis city profile? If you are able to make adjustments in the DPS Equalizer I can use that information and any other description you can provide to make a truly excellent profile. Let me know!

wxman123
    Participant

Yes, exactly!  It’s really hard to describe a sound, the main features of the companions are powerful sounding base  BUT absolutely no muddiness whatsoever, and outstanding clarity and detail.  Theres is also a certain overarching “depth” quality that I just can’t really describe.  I think it’s much more important that you hear the Bose (rather than the SM’s) to get what I’m looking for, perhaps a brief stop at one of their stores or outlets if convenient.  Thanks for considering this request!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.