Bongiovi DPS

talking in movies so low ,can't hear them

Forums DPS Plug-In for computers DPS System Wide Plug-In for Windows talking in movies so low ,can't hear them

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rnadeau6299
    Participant

I have tried every possible combination and I am having a major problem with volume leveling. It seems that it doesn’t bring the volume back up after playing a loud passage.

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

Ron,

I will email you personally and take care of you.

Thanks,

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

As a general rule, DPS should maintain a very nicely leveled audio signal.  Dynamic Range Control is the core concept behind DPS.  With that being said, be sure the following is set within your system:

1. Be sure your Windows computer volume control is at 100%.  In Windows, the main volume control (the one controlled by your keyboards) becomes the INPUT level control going to DPS.  That is because Digital Power Station becomes the default playback device so we can process the audio.  During normal operation for laptop speakers and headphones and such, you would not have a problem.  However, if this level is too low, and you have connected external speakers that are turned up loud, you will not get the effect of Bongiovi DPS dynamic range control.  If you want to know the details of why this happens, just ask.
    2. Be sure the volume control of your media player is at 100%.  For the same reasons stated above.  The DPS profiles are calibrated for a moderately high input level.  If the level is too low you will hear the effect of equalization but none of the wonderfully transparent leveling and loudness control.
    3. Control the volume of your external speakers with their volume control.  In pro audio we call this gain staging.  Ideal gain staging places the master volume control at the end of the chain of devices.  All other devices are maintained at ideal volume levels.  In the case of DPS, the devices include:  Media player–>Digital Power Station Driver—>Bongiovi DPS application–>Computer Output Driver–>Your speakers.

Also be aware of any automatic volume leveling in your audio devices.  TVs are notorious for having built in volume levelers that destroy the sound.  This can have the effect you describe, rnadeau6299.  If possible, disable any automatic volume control in your device.  If this is not possible (in the case of most TVs) lower the output of your Computer’s Output Driver to about 75%.  To the TV, the volume will be within a safe range, but you will still have the effect of DPS.

This is a complex topic!  I’m happy to discuss the nitty gritty details if you have further questions.

rnadeau6299
    Participant

I just checked everything you mentioned and everything is set up right with the Paris profile EXCEPT tv volume leveling. I wasn,t aware my tv had volume leveling mostly because it was in the advanced settings and was called SRS Tru Volume and it was on. I turned it off and my tv immediately changed volume.  Thanks for the tip . I will test it this weekend and report back.

Here is some interesting info. My first computer was a top of the line ( which I paid extra for) was a Kaypro 2X portable that weighed 50 lbs. It had a 4 Mhz processor, 16K ram, 2 5 1/4 inch floppy drives and a 9 inch green screen with white letters. I  bought it for my business and cost me $2500.00. I checked on a price for a 10 meg hard drive but I decided against it because it cost $10,000.00. I still have it and it works fine! It had the CPM operating system. As lame as this system sounds , it did everything I needed with 16k ram. I purchased this in 1985. I enjoy computers so much I started and ran a computer business, building upgrading and repairing them in 1990 and I’m still doing it. I’ve seen alot of changes over the years. I am sure that predates you guys.

rnadeau6299
    Participant

I was wondering. Does it limit how loud it goes  as well as raise the lower sound levels. I would think part of the algorithm is to determine the normal volume then using other parameters as well , then adjusts it accordingly. I have always been very interested in knowing how things tick.

rnadeau6299
    Participant

I turned volume leveling off on my tv. I’ve been testing the sound with different profiles with the same movie . I started the movie and listened to the first 5 minutes with each profile. with some profiles I stopped almost immediately but with the Anapolis and Paris profiles I was able to get it to sound the way I want it to. BUT there is one spot about 5 minutes into the movie where there is much gunfire with automatic weapons. It hurt my ears and I had to turn it down then back up when the gunfire was done. The movie in case you’re wondering is The Punisher.

Prior to getting DPS I was using an excellent sound enhancer that would reduce the sharpness for lack of a better word, when there was gunfire. It also kept the voice volume level so again I didn’t have to keep reaching for the remote. Unfortunately this software isn’t win 8 compatible which is why I found DPS.  I hope my description gives you a better understanding of what I would like it to do.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

This is excellent feedback, rnadeau6299.  I am downloading the Punisher now for testing.  I also verified the Annapolis and Paris profiles do not have a lot of automatic volume control.  They are well suited for various types of music and speaker combinations but they will not aggressively control dynamic range for movies.  One of the most aggressive is Philadelphia but it is designed for spoken word or very low volumes only.

With that being said, I will begin constructing a new category of profiles called TOOLS.  Beaty and I have been kicking this around so I think now is a great time to start.  We will start by creating versions of Annapolis and Paris that are perfect for consistent movie watching.  We will also construct profiles that are designed for single purposes such as bass boost, dialog normalizations etc.  We are open to suggestions!

Also, I’d like to know what the other audio enhancer is you were using.  As long as I have a basis of comparison, I can create a profile that sounds like just about any audio enhancer.  I can put this in the TOOLS category as well.

Regarding your questions about how the volume normalization works – Bongiovi DPS processing is unique (and patented) because of how it controls dynamic range.  You can read about the basics of dynamic range control here.   Bongiovi processing allows for a large amount of processing with very little artifacts.  As you can read in the Wikipedia article, audio compressors always work to turn the signal down by a certain ratio after it exceeds a threshold.  These parameters, along with how much you turn the signal back up (make up gain), determine the amount of volume normalization.

PS – Here is a picture of my sister and I using our first computer.  It was a terminal in my dad’s home office in Florida connected to a mainframe in Maryland.  We had a crazy box attached to it where you could type a word, then a few seconds later it would speak that word!  After that we had an XT (8086 processor) with 64k ram and 20mb hard drive. Fun stuff 🙂

rnadeau6299
    Participant

The other software was Breakaway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.