Bongiovi DPS

Not working on iPhone 6 with iOS 9

Forums The Bongiovi DPS app for mobile devices Not working on iPhone 6 with iOS 9

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ajstan

Hi – great app, have been using for a couple of years now and it is my go-to app for listening to music everywhere.  Unfortunately, I just upgraded to iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 (space grey, 64GB, T-mobile) and the Bongiovi DPS app immediately closes (returns me to the home screen) when I attempt to play a song.  I have deleted and reinstalled the app to no avail.

The app does work on my iPad 3 with iOS 9, so it may be a specific issue with the iPhone 6.

Please let me know if you need any other info to help diagnose and fix the issue.

Thanks.

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

Hey there! We have been testing in the beta versions of iOS 9 and the app working until the final release of iOS 9.  That being said, we have been thinking about ending the Bongiovi DPS app for some time.

So, after careful consideration, we have decided that the Bongiovi DPS iOS app will no longer be made available in the Apple App Store. Click here to read the official End of Life Statement. This also mentions how you can continue using DPS with the Jet Audio App with DPS.

If you have installed Bongiovi DPS in the past, it will remain available for download in your App Store purchases. It does appear to be working on older versions of iOS along with some devices iOS 9 devices at this time. Thanks a lot for supporting us. We are still moving forward with the DPS plugin for Mac and Windows. New versions are coming soon.

ajstan

Thanks for the reply, Joseph.  I downloaded the jetAudio app as well as the in-app purchases for jetAudio Plus Unlocker and Bongiovi DPS.  Should I expect a profile in the jetAudio app to sound the same as in the BDPS app?  I believe that I have all processing turned off with the exception of the BDPS profile, and the results are significantly different, and much worse with the New Orleans profile, which I use in my car.  What was a very tight, rich, clear sound that that I could turn up very loud, is now harsh and fatiguing, with over-emphasized bass.  An A/B comparison with my iPad, which can still run the BDPS app, confirms the difference.

I will be contacting jetAudio to confirm the recommended settings, but was also wondering if you had any recommendations to make your profiles sound better in the jetAudio app?

Thanks in-advance for any assistance.

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

ajstan…Let’s make sure everything is turned off except DPS.

File Sep 19, 12 46 05 PM

On the player screen above there are 6 icons above the album artwork.

Click the far left fader icon and make sure the EQ is set to flat. Click done and move on to the second icon.

Looks like an EQ with a sound wave on top of it. This is where the audio enhancers live. Click Jet audio Sound effects. Turn off the power icons next to each knob. Make sure each setting (X-bass, X-wide, Room, AGC and Pitch) are all off.

Then confirm that the AM3d enhancer is also off for each knob power button as well.

I also recommend going into the settings icon. Last one on the right and turning off the pitch correction option.

We will look into differences in sound as well. Let us know if this helps.

ajstan

Thanks. Joseph.  I really appreciate the detailed response.  I have everything turned off as you noted except for the BDPS profile, and it looks like starting off flat in the Equalizer and backing off the 80Hz and 120Hz sliders gets me closer to the original sound of the New Orleans profile in the BDPS app.  (I needed to bump up the bass in the BDPS app.)  I still need to figure out what adjustments to make to get voices to sound a bit clearer, but it’s close enough for now.

It was impressive how the Bongiovi DPS app was able to take a car audio system that many find to be lacking, and turn it into a system that allowed me to re-discover my audio collection and hear detail in songs that I had only heard through headphones.  I will miss it, as it was a perfect match for my car, but will enjoy exploring the new app as well.

Thanks again, and best of luck to you and the team.

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

Ajstan,

We also appreciate your detailed reply. I’ll make sure our engineers takenotice of this.

Thanks!

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

Ajstan,

Ok…We are indeed noticing a few differences with this profile in particular. It may be a variation of New Orleans that found it’s way there for some reason. We are looking into this now and are addressing this and other things to make the Jet Audio DPS experience a solid one.  We appreciate your feedback! Definitely let us know if anything else pops up! Thanks!

texlex

So we have to repurchase the DPS plugin for jetaudio, even if we paid for the full version already?

ajstan

[quote=62842]Ajstan, Ok…We are indeed noticing a few differences with this profile in particular. It may be a variation of New Orleans that found it’s way there for some reason. We are looking into this now and are addressing this and other things to make the Jet Audio DPS experience a solid one. We appreciate your feedback! Definitely let us know if anything else pops up! Thanks! [/quote]

That’s great news!  Looking forward to an app update.  Thanks again for the follow-up.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

telex,

We totally understand your frustration if you recently purchased the $2.99 in-app upgrade in our iOS app.  We have several options available for you.  Please contact us for details.

brad
    Participant

Extremely disappointed by this news.  I won’t complain about having to spend a little more to continue using the DPS audio profiles — I originally upgraded the DPS iOS app in March of 2012, I’ve more than gotten my money’s worth.  That said, I loved the app and the interface.  It was simple, functional, and effective.  I can’t say the same for the Jet app.  It’s slow and clunky.  Moreover, I’m not a fan of the nickel and dime approach they’re taking (2.99 for this, 2.99 for that, another 2.99 for this other thing, etc.)  … Just a poor product in my brief experience with it, and I’m frustrated it is now effectively the only option to make use of DPS on iOS devices.

Honestly, had I known the DPS app would prove incompatible with iOS 9, I wouldn’t have upgraded.

Rant aside, I wanted to drop a note of thanks.  The app you guys made was great, the audio profiles are awesome … awesome enough to make me use the “meh” Jet app.  🙂

brad
    Participant

I’m not able to edit my last post, but I did want to amend my initial reaction to the Jet app.  I’ve spend the better part of the past hour using it, exploring the options, etc.

Nickel and Diming aside (that is still bothersome) – the app itself is pretty good.  The stuttering when loading album art I noticed at first was just a one-time thing.  There’s a high degree of customization available in display and player behavior.  In short, I didn’t give it a fair shake at first – on second look, it’s a good app and – given the DPS profiles integration – well worth the small investment to upgrade.

ajstan

Just checking in.   I saw there was an update to the JetAudio app, but in doing an A/B comparison of just the DPS profile (no EQ or other enhancements) in each app, the New Orleans profile is still noticeably shrill and thin in JA vs. BDPS.

I can A/B test as BDPS still works on an iPad 3, just not on the newer iPads or iPhones.

I’m not sure if the profile in JA has been updated yet, or if there really isn’t a way to get JA to sound like BDPS with the same profiles, (in which case, I’ll stop bugging you).

As a last resort, please feel free to contact me directly at the email address I used to register for DPS Insider if there might be an opportunity to allow someone outside of Bongiovi Acoustics to license and/or maintain the app.  Thanks!

Dan Rice
    Keymaster

Thanks for giving the JetAudio app a second chance. I can’t imagine why the JetAudio player’s version of the New Orleans profile would sound differently than the DPS Player’s version. Our technology in the JetAudio app is the same as it is in our other applications.

We are not planning to license or outsource the DPS Player app. But if you are interested in using DPS technology to create an app, please check out the Bongiovi SDK site:

http://sdk.bongiovidps.com/

ajstan

Thanks for the reply, Dan.  If anyone on the team is ever interested in hearing the difference for for quality control purposes, just load both apps on a device (again, an iPad 3 can open both), switch between the apps playing the same song, and the difference will be apparent.

I will say that the difference is most pronounced when using the profile over AirPlay where BDPS has a separate device type for AirPlay, where JA uses “Speakers” as a device as there is no separate AirPlay option.  Maybe that is causing the difference.

In any case, thanks again for the response.  I enjoyed the BDPS app while it lasted and am glad I still have a device where it works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.