Bongiovi DPS

New updates and features!

Forums Insider Announcements New updates and features!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    zanekeenan1
    Participant

the same has happened to me as above, after the update I hear no difference in presets.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Hey folks,

Sorry this issue slipped by us! Everything has been pretty hectic with CES and all.

Download the fixed version here

Now that CES is behind us DPS 2.1 (FULL version) is on the front burner. It will be ready for both Windows and OSX very soon.

lucienbautista
    Participant

The new version fixed it. Thanks!

drigil
    Participant

This really sounds amazing but unfortunately I have to deal with some clicking/popping/audio glitches from time to time and I can’t figure out the cause. I’ve tried everything on the Windows FAQ section on the Bongiovi site and nothing fixes it. I’ve seen others mentioning this problem so I’m not the only one.

The thing is, even though I despise these clicking/popping sounds and they definitely ruin the experience, I can still tolerate it because they appear rarely, but they always eventually appear. For example, I can go a full hour hearing music nonstop and everything works fine and then bam!, here they are. Sometimes they might appear right away. It’s also worth mentioning that when they appear, they appear for good….For example, as soon as the first click presents itself, three seconds later another one appears, four seconds later another one… Also, when the clicking appears sometimes it sounds like the sound lags a little, but it’s so minor that you only notice it if you’re really paying attention.

Hope I’ve mentioned everything as I experience it to hopefully help identify the problem. So, if anyone has any advice to help fix this problem I would be really grateful because I really appreciate this technology.

Many thanks and keep the good work!

hello
    Participant

Hello chaps,

I just installed the latest update. Followed the news about “full featured version coming soon” and here I am browsing the forum. Opportunity to give you my feedback, I think. So here we go.

Here is some background. I’m a music enthusiast. My music tastes are quite eclectic, I think. Everything from ambient to brutal death metal. For the last couple years, my focus is on everything progressive – from classic prog rock to djent. But I do enjoy EDM, house, trance and sometimes even dance too:) Professionally I’m a UX / web designer.

I’m nowhere near the “audiophile” approach. I just like music. I know nothing about sound engineering but I can tell and enjoy the difference between bad and good sound. On a purely subjective level:) I wouldn’t spend crazy sums on audio stuff, but a pair of decent Audio-Technica’s and Fiio DAC connected to my PC I consider as a good purchase.

I came across Bongiovi DPS quite accidentally. I was researching whether it would make sense to get an analogue equaliser and connect it to the PC. I was looking for a solution that would give me more control over the output. I listen to music from Spotify, SoundCloud, basecamp, occasionally will buy some albums from Amazon (mp3) or get some lossless from Bandcamp. The sound quality varies between these sources a lot so was hoping to find a solution to compensate – hence my research.

When I found Bongiovi DPS, initially there was nothing really that would impress me about it. And it wasn’t quite the thing I was looking for. But I decided to give it a go anyway – curiosity I guess.

What I think today is …God! Not trying it would really be a thing to regret! What a great piece of software engineering! Firstly – idiot-proof setup! That was really great. Complex, confusing setup can kill the product for many users before they even try it. The next thing that I was blown away with how the product spoke for itself. Just a few options to play with, a pretty small number of presets. But the sound – really beyond expectations. And the moment I could hear the difference I could also see why so few options. Simply, nothing more is really needed. And I really appreciate and enjoy this no-nonsense approach. I’m not being forced to understand any complexities. I can simply enjoy my music because someone who knows the complex stuff gave ma a simple but fine-tuned tool. So speaking of presets – there is just 8 for headphones, right? But each preset different (New York being my No 1). And those differences also do feel right, natural. Not like something created just for the sake of having more stuff on the list.

The bottom line – it’s an inconspicuous sound superhero. Small and simple on the outside, purposeful and refined on the inside.

As a side note, because this is stuff I know. The UI, while not that bad, could get a bit more love. There are some pretty simple usability issues (should be easy to fix, example – radio button status gets difficult to read with some background colours) and some more complex too (layout, UI patterns used, typography). And I’ve really seen worse. But this is a great bit of tech, that deserves matching visuals.

sanji765
    Participant

hi,i just want to take a moment to thank you guys for creating this awesome software,i am a long term user,i am a product manager and i don’t even have any recommendations for improvement,which is rare,your software is that good,and i updated my dps today and i can hear consider difference in the audio quality,thank you so much for making an already beautiful product even greater,wishing your team all the very best

Dan Rice
    Keymaster

Sanji765,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are glad you like it! Best wishes to you. Please keep an eye on our forums for our upcoming beta program and the release of the full featured version of DPS 2.1.

Thanks,

Dan R.
    DPS Support

adrian.dennis92
    Participant

I agree with you on this comment. The sound quality with this software is just amazing…all this program needs is some uplifting on the appearance 😛

Dan Rice
    Keymaster

adrian.dennis92,

Thank you for your kind words. I will pass your feedback regarding our application’s aesthetic appearance on to my engineering team.

Yours,

Dan R.
    DPS Support

hello
    Participant

Hey @adrian.dennis92 not sure if you were agreeing with me or someone else 😛 But, yes – that’s exactly what I meant in my comment. And I think the biggest challenge will be not to overdo the design. Because the simplicity is a big, big advantage here.

Ronald N. Tan
    Participant

@Dan Rice

@adrian
    .dennis92

I think we can AGREE TO DISAGREE on the comment concerning requiring a GUI update. How many times do you honestly open the DPS to play around with the sliders? For the free version, you really can’t adjust anything, other then circling around the speaker profiles.

If you’re are selecting the speaker profiles—again—how long do you spend time in the software to warrant a “prettier interface.” I put mine on the “Transparent Theme” and I honestly do not care for the rest of the looks that I could select. Most of my songs (music) are from artists like Celine Dion, Madonna, Enigma, etc. I put my speaker profile on the “Mendoza” and unless my ears was playing tricks on me, my music sounds “awesome and alive” to me.

Already, DPS 2.X is running late due to their CES or something. I rather not have the team’s resources being used in something frivolous and unpractical and rather concentrate on profiling MORE SPEAKERS when the paid version gets out. I rather the team focus on FUNCTIONALITY than looks. They’re a sound software and not a graphics program.

Kindest regards,

Ronald

rupert
    Participant

hiya,

been looking round for an alternative to boom2 which i’ve used for a while.

mac pro – miyo – crimson preamp – crimson amp – tannoy little red monitors

dps generally sounds great at low levels regardless of music type, however seems to struggle with high level content like royal blood, kills, etc where the vocal content disappears and things get pretty muddy..

this may be down to my choice of speaker type?

selected new york at the moment.

is there a break down of what each speaker type is trying to do? would be very useful.

would love to see your feedback on this..

rup

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Hey Rupert,

Your observations of the City profiles makes sense. They are designed to be a universal optimization for a wide range of devices. These profiles sound different on every device even if the specs are very similar so our instructions to our users is “try them all and see what sounds best for you and your music tastes”.

The “squashed” or “muddy” sound you hear for some tracks is due to the dynamic parts of the algorithm working hard to “push down” the loudest parts to match quieter music. There is always a sweet spot to calibrate this on every device so loud and soft tracks sound great. This is independent of frequency response which is governed by the equalizer.

If you listen to a lot of loud tracks, I suggest turning down the level of your music player (iTunes, Spotify etc) so the input to DPS is a bit lower. The volume will still be the same but the music will sound much clearer.

When DPS 2.1 (FULL version) is released, you will notice the 100+ custom profiles will have better performance on their specified (or similar) devices.

I hope this helps!

geokdl
    Participant

Unfortunately the last release for Mac : 2.0.0.20, has too much trebles, with voices which hiss too often, cymbals which are too present, etc. In short a tiring sound.
    Maybe it’s better for 320kb quality streaming with planed trebles, but not for Tidal’s CD quality.
    Moreover, the sound seems to be saturated with many cracklings.
    And impossible to come back to the 2.0.0.19 release !

rupert
    Participant

hiya,

thanks for reply.. will try playing with gain structure to avoid the dps compressing things so much.

when the big release is available it would help massively if there was some kind of guidance as to what each of the 100 presets are aimed at, ideally a database that users could use to match music to preferred setup:

royal blood = rock, high dynamics, high volume use/try: preset 7, 15 or 68

etc etc..

would at least point people to the area they might like.. and users could provide the recommendations..

cheers

rup

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.