Bongiovi DPS

EQ side effects

Forums DPS Plug-In for computers EQ side effects

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hans
    Participant

What side effects does the DPS EQ have? I mean depending on at what stage of processing in DPS it is done it may increases volume (possible overflow?) or compression or volume is intentionally lowered to prevent such effects. Will it just always work nicely or should I consider such things when using the EQ?

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

In version 1.2.3 the eq is designed to minimize possible distortion.  Notice you can cut up to – 10dB but only boost +4dB.

In DPS 2.0 there is a new algorithm to prevent distortion.  That is why you may boost or cut 6dB.

So in most cases, you do not need to worry about overloading while using the eq.  However, it may be possible so listen carefully and keep the volume low while you experiment.

hans
    Participant

Does that mean the eq itself changed from version 1 to version 2, i.e. it now sounds different?

You mentioned somewhere in the forum that cutting and boosting worked differently (hence different amounts of dB, I guess). Can I conclude from that they are the same now, i.e. simultaneously cutting and boosting with the same settings would result in flat curve?

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

The eq has not changed, just the amount of dB you can boost or cut.  Cutting is much easier to deal with because you don’t run the risk of overloading your audio system.  DPS v1.x has no protection from overloading at the end of the signal chain so we only allow 4dB of boost.  DPS v2.x now had overload protection (along with several other features) that allow for much greater range of control.  Technically, the eq can boost or cut as much as 18dB.  But that is a bit extreme for most folks!

In theory (though not always in practice), boosting at one frequency then cutting that same frequency with another eq band will result in flat response.  And the bandwidth of the eq in DPS 2.0 is fixed at 0.7.

Here is a link that describes equalizers in fairly basic terms.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.