Bongiovi DPS

DPS turns itself off

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Perplexity
    Participant

Recently, DPS started to turn itself off when my Mac is sleeping (screen only). After waking it up, I have to turn it on manually. Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

I have a few questions so I can help:

So this is only happening when the screen sleeps, not when in full computer sleep?

Also, are you playing audio when the screen sleeps/wakes?

Are you using built-in speakers or USB speakers?

Perplexity
    Participant

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try to answer your questions.

1) I never shut down or let my Mac do a full sleep. My Mac is always running.

2) I’ve encountered the problem when no audio was playing. So, after waking up my Mac with no audio playing, I’ve noticed that the icon in the menu bar was black and I had to turn it on. It doesn’t always happen, this behavior started recently. Version 1.0.4 worked fine for months.

3) I use my iMac’s build-in speakers.

Perplexity
    Participant

OMG, DPS just turned itself off after closing Vox (music player). No sleeping at all. Maybe I should try a reinstall…

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

ko.be,

You could try uninstalling the vox player and see if the issues are still happening. I am also going to load the vox player on my mac and see if issues happen. Let us know if you find anything.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Beaty and I are testing this now…

It seems that the Vox player is making some changes to the Sound preferences (in system Settings) for OSX.  You will notice that while DPS is running, the output device is set to DPSReflector.  If you change the output device to Internal Speakers in the Sound preferences window, the DPS icon will go black because it is no longer receiving audio to process.

We noticed that the output device changed from DPSReflector to Internal Speakers when the screen woke up.  That is why the icon went black.  Turning DPS back on switched the Output Device back to DPSReflector for proper operation.  This leads me to believe Vox is improperly making changes to the Sound preferences when the screen wakes up.  That may have also happened when you quit Vox and DPS turned off.

My question now is why are we having the issue now and haven’t seen it before?  ko.be, have you been using Vox all along?

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

ko.be,

I tested a bit further and it does seem that Vox is making changes to the sound preferences when the screen wakes up. As Joey mentioned, Turning DPS back on returns everything to normal. *Note* I am running the latest version of the Vox player which says it’s a Beta version. Is this the same version you are running? If so, might be something to mention to them while they are in Beta mode. If it’s happening in another version it may have always been an issue that they have not looked into. Let me know. Thanks!

Perplexity
    Participant

Nope, just recently, I wanted a lightweight player for playing my music and iTunes for managing my music library. I thought DPS was system wide, so it would work with any player now. Sorry for this problem, I didn’t realize Vox was involved.

I’ll contact the developer, thanks for the follow up!

Perplexity
    Participant

It’s release candidate, Vox will go out of beta this month. Sorry for this, I thought it was safe!

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

ko.be,

No apology necessary! We like staying on top of things like this to try and make sure we are compatible as possible. Hopefully you have some luck over there. I am sure if they are still in Beta they would love to hear about this from you. We are always here to help. Have a great day!

Perplexity
    Participant

I decided to give VOX another try and it plays much better with DPS now 🙂

Occasionally, VOX (2.4) deactivates DPS if I pause a track, but that’s it. No other problems. It’s a good player IMHO, so I’ll contact their support again. Fingers crossed!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.