Bongiovi DPS

DPS for Mac 1.0.7 Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Insiders!

DPS for Mac version 1.0.7 is Released

Click “Check for Updates” in the About tab.

NSURL errors are now reduced by setting proper permissions on the profiles folder during installation.  If, for some reason, your system changes Library/Application Support/Bongiovi Acoustics to read-only, you will see this error.

This version also addresses dark mode for OSX Yosemite.  If you like the original task bar icons, they will also work with dark mode.

Instructions for installing old icons:

1. Click Here to download the old icons.
    2. Unzip then copy (command-c) the 4 icons.
    3. In Applications/Digital Power Station control-click on the Digital Power Station app.
    4. Choose Show Package Contents
    5. Navigate to Contents/Resources
    6. Paste (command-v) the new icons into Contents/Resources.
    7. Choose Replace All.
    8. Quit then re-launch DPS.  You will now see the original icons!
    Perplexity
    Participant

No issues at all here!

I’m always using it, it’s one of those things I couldn’t live without it 🙂

Mystakill

I’ve not been able to change the volume when DPSReflector is selected in Sound preferences, although the on-screen display shows that the volume level is supposedly changing.  Mute is checked in the volume slider in Sound preferences.  Turning DPS on or off doesn’t affect the volume slider at all.  I can manually change the volume with the slider though.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled DPS 1.0.7 a couple of times now, and I’m still unable to change the volume.  I’ve also gone through the Setup Helper, which tells me to do what I’ve already done.

bnmguy
    Participant

Mystakill,

Did you get your issue resolved? I noticed that you said that “Mute” was checked in the volume slider in under Sound Preferences. That shouldn’t be checked unless you want it muted, so uncheck that (although, that should technically uncheck itself on Volume up).

What version of OS X are you running?

Mystakill

bnmguy,

I’m running Yosemite 10.10.2 on a late 2013 MBP Retina.  I neglected to add that the Mute checkbox was disabled when DPSReflector was the selected sound device, so I couldn’t directly unmute it.  Changing the volume only changed the on-screen display and nothing else.

Interestingly, I turned DPS back on as I was writing this and volume control worked.  I checked Sound preferences and noticed that Internal Speakers was still selected, so I manually switched it to DPSReflector and it’s still working (for now).  I’m now curious as to A) why it’s working, B) why it’s still not selecting the DPSReflector when I turn DPS on, and C) why I can now mute & unmute the volume when DPSReflector is selected.

I did need to reboot for something last week, and I took the opportunity to reset PRAM and SMC.  I’ve rebooted multiple times since this version of DPS was installed, so the fact that it’s working may have something to do with the resets.

Mystakill

Ok.  So I came back to the Mac a bit later to play a game and noticed that the volume controls were no longer working again.  I had to turn DPS off and select Internal Speakers in Sound preferences again, in order to regain volume control.  Just selecting Internal Speakers wasn’t enough.

Dan Rice
    Keymaster

Mystakill,

Please check out this help topic which directly addresses the issue you seem to be experiencing:

http://help.dpsplugin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=osx_system_audio_settings

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Thanks,

Dan Rice
    Bongiovi Acoustics
    DPS Support

maceasy
    Participant

Still the same issue it has always had on Mavericks – stuttering audio with video. I read that 10.9.5 supposedly fixed it and it didn’t. This has been an issue for about two years now. I had dropped DPS, but thought I would try it again with 10.9.5, but same old story. You can only use it by loading it only when you use iTunes, but it is fatal when you watch any video. I wonder if it is cured in Yosemite, but I don’t have high hopes. It is not much use really when you have to keep it quitting and loading it to use it.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

maceasy,

Yes.  It seems the issues in Mavericks have never really been resolved for some users.  However, no users are reporting these stuttering issues in Yosemite.  Apple made some unknown changes to the audio engine (for the better) in Yosemite so we are back to the functionality we had in 10.8.  I have updated our system requirements in the Help/FAQ page accordingly.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

For my personal setups, I only run Mountain Lion and Yosemite now.  I downgraded my MacPro that runs ProTools to 10.8.5 and it starts up and runs almost 2x faster than it did in Yosemite.  I keep my MacBook Air up to date with Yosemite so I can take advantage of battery life and UI improvements.

bnmguy
    Participant

Mystakill,

Has your issue been resolved? If not, I’m curious, do you have any other audio software installed? Or, recently removed? If so, at minimum, there may be some remnants being left behind from old audio software that are influencing this behavior. If you’ve never had anything installed/uninstalled recently, then for now I’m out of ideas.

Have you happened to look at any of the logs when this behavior occurs? If not, that’s okay. If you know how to pull those up, though, there may be some clues in their contents.

Mystakill

I’ve got it working now.  I ended up uninstalling DPS again, and manually deleted some kexts left behind by a previous Boom 2.0 installation, which I’d uninstalled.  The leftover kexts were likely the culprit.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Incompatible kernel extensions (kexts/drivers) are always going to cause issues and will interact in unpredictable ways with other kexts.  If you see a device available in your Sound Preferences window (like DPSReflector) you know it has a kext associated with it.

If a kext is in use, it cannot be uninstalled.  That is one reason there may be leftover kexts.  It is best to uninstall software that uses a kext right after a fresh reboot to be sure it is not in use.

If it is still there, they are easy to remove.  But DO NOT REMOVE A KEXT IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT DOES!  You could remove something that is necessary like your video card driver.

For example, you can remove the popular Soundflower driver this way:

1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions
    2. Delete the file Soundflower.kext
    3. Empty your trash
    4. Reboot

Or, if you want to remove the DPSReflector:

1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions
    2. Delete the file DPSReflector.kext
    3. Empty your trash
    4. Reboot
    5. DPS will no longer work!

You may find the Boom kexts in one of those locations.  But be sure you are certain before you delete anything!

MightyBoo
    Participant

Hi,

Here is the link to dark menu icons: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zoctb8k1jpfhfrs/AAA-7QCMQEV-KQQnU0Ztgjjda?dl=0

I simply just invert the colours of the old icons which were initially black. Then duplicate & replace the active icons. In my opinion, these icons are much better than the 1.0.7 icons which looks terrible. I hope xaqmusic can use these icons in the future updates for mac.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

MightyBoo,

Thanks for the darkmode icons.  I understand the new icons look heavy but we need to consolidate our apps and use our logo for the icon.  Fortunately, it is easy to change the icons!

I have found the original icons do work in dark mode: https://www.dropbox.com/s/szjra0otpnr1icf/Original_DPS_Icons.zip?dl=0

In the future, when we port DPS 2.0 to OSX, we will provide the option to change the icon as part of the skinning feature.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Everyone,

We are tracking a few instances of DPS not working properly in OSX 10.11 El Capitan.  In all of our tests of the official El Capitan release, DPS 1.0.7 appears to be working well.

I should add we are only supporting the official release of El Capitan.  The public beta is not the version supported by Apple so we cannot support that version.  Our tests have been performed by upgrading our machines via the App Store while DPS was already installed.

If anyone has any input on this topic (success or failures) please let is know.  We will do our best to resolve any issues.

Also, we are very close to completing DPS 2.0 for Mac!  The Windows version will be released by the end of October and the Mac version will follow soon after.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.