Bongiovi DPS

DPS and Airplay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimboden

Hi Guys:

The answer to this is probably simple, but I can’t figure out how to turn on Airplay in the iOS DPS app. I got a new AVR a couple of days ago and can turn on Airplay in the Apple music app with my iPhone, but don’t see anything obvious in the DPS app. Unfortunately, these forums don’t have a search feature, otherwise I would have tried using it. 🙂

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

The AirPlay icon appears on the “Now Playing” screen (where the B button is) when there is an AirPlay device available on your wifi network.  I don’t have an AirPlay device here at my house so I can’t upload a pic of our app but the icon should look like the square+triangle icon at the bottom of this screenshot of the Music app:

AirPlay in Music app

Be sure to choose a profile in the AirPlay category by touching the gear icon…

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

BTW I also added forum search at the bottom of the page 😉

jimboden

Hi Joey:

Thanks for that. I did see the icon when I tried the Apple app. I think maybe I had a timing problem or had to restart DPS, but it does work now. It’s quite an amazing feature. It seems like all recent A/V equipment is network enabled with great features. My AVR is a Denon and it has a nice, integrated Internet Radio app, which also does podcasts. I found something called 1.FM, which is Swiss-based and has a lot of different categories of Internet stations. You can also listen to its stations in a browser here: http://www.1.fm/about

Joseph Beaty
    Keymaster

Thanks for the 1.fm share! Love the Amsterdam Trance station!

jimboden

Does DPS have an effect when plugging an iPhone into a USB port? My new receiver has one, but DPS doesn’t work.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, Apple will not allow us to process the audio for the USB digital output.  They limit developers on this because they think we would steal DRM protected media.  You know when your device is using the USB digital audio connection when the song names appear on the playback device (your receiver) and DPS does not have an effect.

There is also an analog audio connection on the dock connector.  That is what most iPod docs use.  DPS can process this signal and the profile for that is in the Line Out menu.

jimboden

Thanks for clearing that up Joey! Airplay works really well and all the song info shows up in my receiver’s display, so the USB port is kind of redundant anyway, at least for music. The neat thing about Airplay is that DPS actually controls the receiver’s volume with the slider which is a nice touch (no pun intended). 🙂

The receiver actually has a browse mode for the USB port, which can be set so the music on the phone gets browsed, similar to connecting to DLNA on my computer. This mode allows the receiver to play back the music from the USB port, including showing song information in the display. Of course, it’s the same as playing it back from my computer, which means DPS isn’t involved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.