Bongiovi DPS

DPS and Airplay for Windows

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jimboden

This question may have an obvious answer, but I can’t figure it out. I use Airplay all the time on my iPhone going to my AVR and I just love it. DPS for iOS processes Airplay exactly the same as playing music. So, here’s my question: If DPS can handle Airplay on an iOS device, why can’t it do the same on a computer? On a Windows system, iTunes can do Airplay, but DPS does not process it. Maybe there’s an obvious setting somewhere than I’m missing. Any thoughts?

steveting99

Jim,

Interesting question. With the DPS plugin running under Windows I would thought it needs a double conversion to work under Airplay through a music application. For example, my music player (Foobar 2000) has it’s audio output mixed through DPS plugin so I hear through the headphone jack. To make it work with the Apple TV, I would assume that Foobar 2000 would to implement the Airplay feature – which I don’t think it’s going to happen.

I haven’t tried it with iTunes 11. It might be interesting if the DPS plug-in works only with iTunes + Apple TV. Will have to get an ATV to try this out.

Steve

jimboden

Hi Steve:

Thanks for your input. I’ve spent a little more time looking at it. It appears to be the way iTunes handles Airplay that prevents the audio from going through DPS. When I look at the Airplay icon in iTunes, it shows 2 different outputs. One is My Computer, which DPS processes, and the other is my AVR. That means the output to my AVR is being passed over my network, presumably via Wi-Fi, although it might work over my wired connection as well, but that’s just a guess. In that instance, there’s no way the audio can go through DPS unless it has a network interface of some kind that can intercept the audio before it goes over the network. So, Bongiovi, here’s a challenge for you. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.