Bongiovi DPS

DPS 2.0 Testing (Windows)

Forums Bongiovi DPS 2.2 DPS 2.0 Testing (Windows)

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 419 total)
  • Author
    xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Jim,

This consolidation will impact out iOS app when we rebuild it as part of the DPS 2.0 extended project.

Our iOS app was created back in 2011 when it was not officially possible to process the audio stream.  Someone had discovered a hack to do it and we leveraged this trick to make one of the first audio enhancement players for iOS.  As Apple has changed their rules over the years, we’ve adapted our player to the new methods.  But now it is several layers deep with all kinds of traps due to the older methods of iOS audio processing.  A total rebuild is in order to simplify the player code and integrate our consolidated audio processing codebase.

jimboden

Hi Joey:

I’ve read your other posts about the increasing complexity of working with Apple and Microsoft, so it’s certainly a challenge. I remember when DPS was released and was so disappointed that I had a 2nd generation iPod Touch and couldn’t use DPS. Shortly after that, I got an iPhone 4S in the fall of 2011 and bought DPS. It’s truly an amazing product and I use it on my computer and phone all the time.

ruslang
    Participant

<p style=”color: #373737;”>=====================================================================</p>
    1PC: – 1 HDD WIndows 8.1×64, 2 HDD Windows 7sp1x86, 1/2 hdd install dps 1.2.3 first> 2014 Y
    DPS 1.2.3 now installed Windows 7 and 8.1×64 and works normal 5+!*****

with all of the below specified sound cards;
    Audio Devices: in Windows 8.1×64/ 7 SP1 X86: Nvidia HDMI (LG monitor), 2 Realtek HDA Internal, 3 External PCI Via Envy24 (SPDIF)

de-install 1.2.3 ,> install in windows 8.1×64 – dps – A8, When you first start produced an error .net – click continue and A8 works normal, not yet installed A9 -x2 errors,

a9 .net error, even after clicking continue not working, pre launch writes that the dps driver not installed, really the DPS driver – normal installed.

When you click “Continue” for the .NET – change skin non works ask dps application A8 / A9

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

ruslang:

Glad to hear 1.2.3 is working well!

What was the .net error you received in a8?

I wonder if the language is affecting recognition of the DPS driver.  Can you provide a screenshot of your Sound Control Panel?

Thanks

hans
    Participant

Another suggestion:

Switching between music and movies should only be available if such profiles actually exist. Otherwise the user will be confused by the missing audible effect, complaining DPS would not work . (Even if it is planned to have both versions for all profiles some could have been deleted by accident or whatever.)

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

hans,

We have considered this.  Right now our plan is to have Music and Movie modes for all profiles just like 1.2.3 offers now.  Also, we are working on a new bundle format for profiles that will make organization much easier.  With this in mind, we still may implement your suggestion where Music and Movie controls are hidden for profiles that do not have those modes.  I can certainly see some applications where this would be useful.

jimboden

This is an interesting topic. How do you determine if there will be one or two modes for a profile? When I use a profile, I always expect to be able to switch back and forth between music and movie and do it all the time. I especially like movie mode for playing games while listening to my headphones.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Jim,

Some profiles (Cities) work well on a variety of devices.  For example, the Phoenix profile was created for the iOS app and never had a Movies mode.  It is just a good profile for overall listening.

My plan for DPS 2.0 is to convert all of the Mac profiles to the new bgva format.  This will include all of the movie modes.  The bgvw profiles used in DPS 1.2.3 are actually much quieter than the Mac profiles because the Mac CoreAudio system has a LOT more room to operate.  We have solved this problem in DPS 2.0 without sacrificing audio quality.

Our final goal is to have a completely consolidated sound across all platforms.  So Mac, Windows, Android, Linux and embedded systems (like TVs) will all use the same profiles and have the same effect.

jimboden

Hi Joey:

I use Phoenix for my Altec Lansing desktop speakers and really like it. It has both music and movie settings, though. I can clearly hear the difference switching back and forth, so I guess that means the profile is different from the iOS one. If so, does that mean Phoenix will no longer support both music and movie when all is said and done? Excuse me if I seem confused about this.

Your final goal, of course, makes perfect sense.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Jim,

I put music and movies versions of the Phoenix profile into the Goodies folder.  Just copy them into Program Data/Bongiovi Acoustics/External Speakers.

It looks like I created a movies version of Phoenix after creating the single profile for iOS.  Since you are familiar with this profile I look forward to hearing your feedback on any difference in sound.  There will be some difference but it should be minor.

jimboden

Hi Joey:

Thanks for the download. Until there’s a new release of 2.0, I’m still using 1.2.3 and was looking for its profiles, but can’t remember where they are. Can you point me in the right direction? I searched for bgva files and only got 2.0 stuff.

Thanks.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

bgva profiles are only for DPS 2.0 and Android at the moment.  Soon all DPS platforms will use this or a bundled format.

For 1.2.3, look for bgvw profiles in Program Data/Bongiovi Acoustics.

jimboden

Thanks, got it. I see all the 1.2.3 profiles are in the Program Data folder itself and 2.0 ones are split between Built-In, External, and Headphones.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Alpha build A10 is now available

If you are using a different skin other than DPSTheme, please switch back to DPSTheme before installing a10.  There are new assets in the skin template and missing assets will cause a crash.  If you were using the XParent theme, please replace it with the revised XParent2 theme in the Goodies folder.

If you do get a crash for any reason, please let us know.  Clicking “Continue” is not recommended as this may cause instability in the DPS application.

Version 2.0.0a10

• The DPS processing code is now using the latest core code that is shared among platforms.
    • New About page assets.
    • New graphic for the EQ pad ball.
    • Added a fix for the transparent background exception.
    • The beta timeout for a10 is 10/11/2014.
    jimboden

Hi Joey:

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is a10 is retaining all its settings after a reboot, so it looks like the registry is being updated. The bad news is I tried to change the skin using Xparent2 and I get the .Net error reported previously. This is the first time I’ve seen it. The sequence is: Click on Set Skin, let DPS restart, choose Xparent2, select a colour which does change, then click on Home. The Home screen has X’s in the 2 Reset boxes. I took a screen shot of the error, but pasting it here doesn’t work. Any ideas? A picture is worth a thousand words. I also can’t get the solid black screen that was provided earlier in Xparent. When I look at Xparent2, I can see it with the name MainBackground_blank.png. I guess the only way to access it is to rename it to the default one.

In lieu of a screen shot, here’s the error text which is in a window with Microsoft .Net Framework in the title:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

C:Program FilesBongiovi AcousticsDPS 2.0SkinsXparent2EqPadBall.png

There’s lots of error text below the above, but I only have a small amount because it’s in a tiny window that requires me to scroll down to read it all. I’ve never understood why Microsoft likes to produce these tiny windows which cannot be maximized so all its contents can be seen. If you need any of that, let me know. I think the error message itself is probably enough for someone to figure it out.

After this error happens, clicking on Continue works, but the Bass EQ and Treble EQ boxes have red X’s in them. Closing DPS and restarting it produces the Net Framework error message again, so there’s no apparent way around it. I’m going to try rebooting my computer to see if it makes any difference and will report back.

UPDATE: DPS gets the Net Framework error after rebooting my computer and the EQ boxes still have red X’s. I did not attempt to change the skins or background colour either.

Next, I’ll uninstall and reinstall it to see what happens.

UPDATE: Uninstall and reinstall got rid of the problem, so I’ll stay away from changing skins. 🙂

I’ve been testing it with iTunes and am getting audio break ups again as I reported in a much earlier post. I was listening to QC 3 headphones when it started breaking up, so I switched to a pair of QC 15’s and got exactly the same problem. The drop outs come and go, though, so I don’t know if DPS or iTunes is the culprit. Before someone asks, I never get audio problems with headphones when playing games, for instance.

Next, I will go back to 1.2.3 to see if I can replicate the problem.

UPDATE: Audio also dropped out in 1.2.3. with headphones. The interesting thing is, when I switched to speakers, I couldn’t reproduce the problem with either version of DPS.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 419 total)
  • The topic ‘DPS 2.0 Testing (Windows)’ is closed to new replies.