Bongiovi DPS

Bongiovi AGC vs compressor with sidechain eq

Forums Sound Science Bongiovi AGC vs compressor with sidechain eq

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hans
    Participant

Hope this is the correct forum section.

I was always wondering what’s the soundwise difference between the Bongiovi AGC and a compressor with a sidechain eq?

Obviously there are internal differences but to my understanding the effect should be similar. But I guess the Bongiovi AGC has some advantages besides being more flexible?

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

hans,

I suppose similar sound all depends on what you are comparing it to, right? The Bongiovi AGC has several unique characteristics and optimizations (hence the patents) so the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

The entire DPS/MDPS algorithm is specifically setup to optimize many different types audio systems. You can read our public descriptions at the SDk website and our Medical website. So one of the primary advantages of the Bongiovi AGC is exactly what you stated…flexibility in many different applications.

hans
    Participant

Joe,

I would compare it to using the same compressor as DPS but feeding its level detection part with the same eq’ed signal as the Bongiovi AGC, therefor generating exactly the same gain reduction, but applying the gr to the original (un-eq’ed) signal then.

My (likely wrong) understanding is that this would be simpler and faster. So I thought that the Bongiovi AGC may achieves some completely different result/effect/sound. Also sidechains were invented long before Tony was born, so he would probably have used them if they could deliver what he wanted.

But from your answer I guess there are only minor technical differences.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.