Bongiovi DPS

Advanced Frequency adjustment

Forums DPS Plug-In for computers Advanced Frequency adjustment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rnadeau6299
    Participant

I wanted to elaborate on the advanced eq adjustments for non technical people. These guys know what they are talking about but most of us don’t really understand the technical terms. Maybe some day they will explain it to normal people in a way most of us can understand , until then , here I go. No offense intended guys!

The human ear can hear frequencies between about 23Hz to about 23,000Hz.

The GAIN control is obvious. It adjusts how much gain + or – that you want depending on your taste whether in music or in movies. They are adjustable seperately which means if you make an adjustment under music settings, they will be saved under music settings. You can then change to movie settings and totally change things and it will save those settings. Same goes for all other EQ and advanced EQ settings.

The Fc setting adjusts the setting where the gain makes the most difference. An example is that voice frequencies are around 4,000Hz to 5,000Hz frequency, so if your want to hear voice more , this is the frequency you need to dial into.

The Q setting is as the instructions say is the bell curve. The greater the Q number the shorter the bell curve. As an example, if the bell curve is at 3.0 at 4,000Hz to 5,000Hz frequency , you will be adjusting mostly voice sounds. If the Q number is .7 you will be adjusting a much wider frequency, possible eliminating unwanted sounds in midrange or including sounds you want to enhance. As an example it might boost frequencies between 1,000Hz or lower  to 10,000Hz or higher at at this setting. Again this is just an example. I know for a fact the voice frequencies I quote are pretty much correct for the voice frequencies. I looked it up on the internet and it must be true because it’s on the internet right! lol,  but am not 100% sure about the other frequency range but this is just meant to be an example, not science.

As a non technical person as far as sound is concerned , it took me a little while to decifer this . This is why I thought I would try to put it in layman’s terms for the rest of us. Hope this helps.

Forum guys, please correct me if I am incorrect with this assesment.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for starting this thread and setting the tone for this discussion!  I know it’s been a long time coming.

Let me add a few details and I’ll have my colleagues add their two cents as well:

We normally set the Q value to 0.7 for broad boosts or cuts to any given frequency (Fc [Frequency Center] value).  This is widely considered to be one of the most musical Q values for digital equalizers.  By the way, the amazing audio coding you hear has been done by the the industry recognized masters at Z-Sys.

A Q value of 1.4 is good for affecting less broad ranges but still sounds musical.

A Q value of 3.0 is good for getting rid of harsh or honky sounding resonant frequencies inherent to specific speakers.

Here are some useful frequencies to consider:

50 Hz = The “chesty” thump of a bass drum.

100Hz = The lowest elements of a bass guitar.

150Hz = The “throaty notes” elements of a bass guitar.

250Hz = The “thwack” of a snare drum.

300Hz = The lower part of the human voice.  This is usually attenuated (lowered volume) in pop music but it’s still there.

450Hz = Not the prettiest frequency but necessary for good guitar, piano or other midrange instruments.

600Hz = If you like electric guitars you like this frequency.

700-900Hz = Important for overall vocal level within a mix.

1000Hz = 1kHz = Almost all speakers can represent this frequency accurately.  It is the test tone frequency you hear when curse words get “bleeped” out.  It’s also an industry standard test tone.

2-5kHz = This ranges represents the frequencies our ears are most sensitive to.  This range has everything to do with the perceived loudness of a recording.

6-8kHz = I consider these to be “presence” frequencies.  That’s a personal statement.  The upper elements of strings and horns lives here as well as the lower elements of cymbals.

9-16kHz = “Air”.  Depending on the playback system this range may not be represented accurately.  When it is, the mix and open up and sound very pretty.

17-20kHz = Your dog has something to say about these frequencies.

larsdennert
    Participant

The EQ adjustments are grayed out for me. How do I adjust them? There is an enable check box which does nothing.

xaqmusic
    Keymaster

Are you using Mac, PC or iOS?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.