Bongiovi DPS

Reply To: Improving Mac Profiles for DPS 2.0 – Full Featured Release

Forums Bongiovi DPS 2.2 Improving Mac Profiles for DPS 2.0 – Full Featured Release Reply To: Improving Mac Profiles for DPS 2.0 – Full Featured Release

andreas
Participant

Ok – i think here is the right place for my humble opinion on soudn difference between teh two version. Before i say anything it is important for me to say that it is my subjective impression only. So take out of it whatever helps.
It is difficult to really compare as what You compare comes from memory partially. The difference is not so big that it is totally obvious – but rather small things that also can be wrong remembered…

Having said that i want to go to the setup: I am using teh phoenix profile with an external usb audio device and some speakers.
I chose the phoenix for 1.x as it had a very clear an open sound and most of the other setups sounded too muffled – after al it is some HiFi speakers i am driving.

When i now compare 1.x to 2.0 i would say that it very much depends on the songs i hear. This is interesting as there is no clear result. But for most things i hear 2.0 sounds better with phoenix.
On the plus side there is much more dynamics, especially with calm and bright sounds. Often the sound ‘opens up’ liek a little bit of surround added. in this bright and sharp environment also single bass tones come clear and dark.
Theer are also songs where i would prefer the 1.x This is the more base related stuff, especially techno or something with much and continuous deep tones. These are not so strong with 2.0 then they were with 1.x I get the impression they lack some power and also the do not come out so clear and distinguished. They are rather fading into each other a bit. Not to understand me wrong: It still sounds great – but in my impression the 1.x sounded better here.
In rare cases i encountered another phenomenon that i can not clearly describe when it happenes. In some brigt passages with a fast sequence of high tones i got the impression as if it lost rhythm. When there originally was a clear succession of clear bright strokes it now sounded a little out of phase – like if some of the tones would try to overtake the others creating a bit of a chaos. Listening example here would be Freestyler by Bomfunk MCs – not the start but a little later.
What i cannot say is if this is due to the profiel or due to my setup routing DPS through soundflower. But that effect is not here with 1.x – and it is with 2.0

But apart from these little things (You asked for them!) i do love the improved sound of 2.0. Will be very curious for the new profiles and maybe soon a full version 😉